When temps drop and many Colorado cyclists are trading their mountain bikes for skis, other riders button down the hatches and pull out all the layers. For those year- round riders clothing is the key to successful winter riding. Choose poorly and what could have been an amazing ride can quickly go south. Here are some of our favorite mountain bike kits to keep you on the bike through a range of fall and winter riding conditions.
40-50 Degree Days
Mons Royale Tarn Merino 3/4 Jersey
A lightweight windbreaker designed to offer protection from the cold on high output rides. The ultimate bike jersey for all temperatures.
We we like it:
- Raglan sleeves for freedom of movement
- Merino Lined Polyester front panel to protect from wind and chill
- Hidden sunglass pocket
Endura Single Track Fleece
We consider this versatile, insulating midlayer, an essential in all trail riders wardrobes. When temperatures drop this multi-functional top makes an excellent mid-layer to keep you riding on the coldest days, or a great spring/fall outer layer that can take even the worst chills off your skin.
Why we like it:
- Comfy insulated mid layer perfect for pairing with other layers
- Contains more than 80% recycled fabric
- Zippered key post on lower back is perfect for stashing valuables.
Troy Lee Designs Sprint
The Sprint won’t make things any easier for the competition. Focusing on how the kit fits and feels on the bike we have revised articulation points and used lighter, more durable materials in the pants and shorts. Panting up for winter is a must for anyone trying to ride when the temps drop up on the mountain.
We we like them:
- Comfy articulating seems keep you comfy even when temps drop.
- Two zippered pockets strategically placed to keep your goodies safe
- Chain abrasion resistent materials on the inside of your right ankle keep your pants in one piece
Endura MT500 Freeze Point Jacket
Winter can provide some of the most epic riding days with cool, crisp air and snow dusted trails or empty roads. With Multi Fabric Insulation and PrimaLoft Gold Insulation panels on the sleeves, front torso and hood, the MT 500 Freeze Point Jacket sets you up to beat the cold.
-Insulated panels keep key body feature warm.
-Stretchy thermal softshell allows for unrestricted movement.
Endura Windchill Jacket
The Windchill range acts as a windproof shield preventing heat loss while transporting sweat away from your body creating a comfortable, warm micro climate. The Windchill Jacket II provides 360 degree wind protection and loads of pockets to carry the ride essentials, making it the perfect partner for blustery rides ar it as a mid-layer, outer-layer, overlayer, underlayer or however else you can imagine.
Why we like it:
- Stretch, windproof thermal fabric throughout keeps you exceptionally warm.
- Durable water repellent finish.
- 3 open rear pockets plus zipped security pockets offer plenty of storage for cycling necessities.
Pearl Izumi Summit Amfib Alpha Pant
Designed for riders who relish the opportunity to ride through winter, our warmest pant features Polartec® Alpha® for its great next-to-skin feel and lightning-fast moisture transfer that can match hard aerobic efforts. To keep you warm without excess bulk, the insulation is targeted in panels where it’s needed most, while AmFIB® softshell provides 360-degree breathable protection from wind and cold.
Why we like them:
- Dual zippered trail access pockets for holding ride essentials.
- Tapered fit is pedal friendly.
- Fabrics are made from recycled materials.